Here are some useful tips to help you pack your belongings, and particularly those fragile or highly valuable ones to guard against in-transit accidents.
- Add Some Extra Padding – Even for moving relatively short distance, to or from Toronto, ON or elsewhere in Canada, has its share of risks, due to bumpy roads and sudden stops. So feel free to add extra padding!
Bubble wrap and newspaper are the common favourites, but don’t forget unconventional alternatives, such as sweaters, scarves, blankets and even socks.
- Plates and Dishes – If you begin unpacking and discover a few broken plates and saucers – it’s usually due to truck vibrations. The secret is to pack them individually on their sides, just like in a dishwasher!
Make sure their edges are securely wrapped with bubble wrap with little room to move around.
- Fragile Objects – We mentioned plates and dishes above, but keep in mind that jugs, glasses, china cups and the like should be packed separately with their cavities filled. Socks are perfect for this! Be sure to pack them in large boxes with pillows or blankets to absorb the vibrations.
- Lamps – A tricky item, but it might just fit in the drawers in the dresser! Wrap the base in a towel, and disassemble if possible. The furniture might be unstable, and the towels provide great buffering going around tight corners. The shades can be boxed.
- Electronics – Most Toronto residential movers usually advise electronics to be packed in their original boxes – but chances are they’ve been thrown out long ago. You can wrap each component separately, then secure the main items (DVD player etc) with some bubble wrap, set it into the centre of a box walled by a blanket. Add the smaller components on top, wrapped in extra padding.
- Mirrors and Paintings – It’s best to get a frame box for any large mirrors or valuable paintings. Most residential moving services will offer them, but be sure to fill the space between the mirror and the box walls. A blanket or sweater is ideal for this.
- Antique Furniture – To protect valuable antique furniture, you can wrap a thick winter blanket around the main body. The material won’t tear during transit, but be sure to wipe surfaces clean first so no small particles can cause damage under the padding. Smaller kitchen towels and sweaters can be used around the legs.
About Viktoria Van Lines Toronto
Viktoria Van Lines Toronto is a professional Toronto moving and storage company, providing high quality local and long distance moving services throughout the GTA, Southern Ontario and across Canada. Thanks to our country-wide network we are also able to service our clients’ long distance moving needs throughout Canada.
Call Viktoria Van Lines Toronto (647) 344-1554 or Toll Free: 1 ( 877) 399-1315 for a FREE Consultation in regards to your residential or commercial / office moving needs to and from Toronto, the GTA and across Canada.